Monday, November 30, 2015

My Month-Long Flame-cation

The Calgary Flames are atrocious. That's not good.

Why do I bring up this painfully obvious statement? Why not? It's gotten to the point where this club is so horrendous that calling them 'atrocious' isn't even remotely newsworthy. That's what happens when you're dead-last in the entire NHL. Congratulations, Flames!

Even in the lowest points of the sad exercise in futility that was the Freddy Modin/Jay Feaster era, I have never stopped watching this team. Never. I may have missed some games, but never on purpose.

That has changed.

This past Friday, the Flames were in Glendale, taking on the surprising Arizona Coyotes. I knew that Calgary would lose, like they have all year. So, I decided to go see the new Bryan Cranston movie,  Trumbo, instead. I actually ended up enjoying myself, and I simply shook my head when I learned that the Flames had lost again.

See, like everyone else, I had to deal with the fact that the Flames lost, but that didn't matter, simply because I had actually enjoyed those two hours watching a good movie (go see Trumbo, it's excellent).

I'm not going to begin to try to attempt to figure out the cause of the Flames' repeated failure - it's not worth the inevitable 5,000 word essay, which I could instead write on a different, more interesting topic, like curling, or fly fishing. Instead, I'm just not going to watch this team. What's the point?

I mean, sure - we aren't paying for GameCentre and all those sports channels for nothing. I'll still watch football (Brees is killing it this year!) and I'll tune into the highlights. I'll still shake my head when the Flames lose, and that hopeless shoot of excitement and the thought of "maybe this is their TSN Turning Point" when they win will still exist.

However, I don't need to watch two-and-a-half hours of sloppy hockey. I could be watching a movie, or playing the drums, or eating a casserole. And I'll be back on January 1st, watching all the Flames games I can. Mind, I'll still try to write as much as I can, here, all throughout December.

No watching Flames games, though. It's just not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment